Pages

Saturday, May 28, 2011

The Show Must Go On...with Compassion!



Since I am patiently waiting for my adoption to progress, I want to blog about something as close to my heart as adoption is - Compassion International and child sponsorship :) And as you can see, Compassion is sending a group of  bloggers to the Philippines (these people do not work for compassion, they are regular people, living throughout the country, who happen to blog regularly about various things) this week so they can experience how Compassion works. You will have an opportunity to see through their eyes, words, and daily posts the work God is doing through Compassion. I hope you'll click the link and check those blogs out!  Every trip I have followed along with is an eye-opening, soul-deepening, tissue-using experience! I know you will be blessed.

Compassion's mission statement is this:
"Releasing children from poverty in Jesus' name
In response to the Great Commission, Compassion International exists as an advocate for children, to release them from their spiritual, economic, social and physical poverty and enable them to become responsible and fulfilled Christian adults."


Compassion basics:
  • Sponsoring a child is $38/month. Yes, this is quite a commitment, but you would be surprised how easy it is to sacrifice a few small things each month (one time eating out with your family, one week of starbucks, etc) to be able to provide for a child.
  • The benefits the children receive: Among other things, the opportunity to hear the gospel and learn about Jesus; regular Christian training; educational opportunities and help; health care, hygiene training and supplementary food if necessary; a caring and safe Christian environment to grow in self-confidence and social skills; personal attention, guidance and love.
  • Your child will write to you several times each year. Even more important than the financial commitment, in my opinion, is the relationship you develop with that child through letters (and even visits if you are able!). You can write to them regularly, and develop a real, lasting relationship with them that impacts your life more than you could imagine. It can be more than just a photo on the wall and a monthly financial commitment. The children long for letters from their sponsors, and to be a part of a family that is far away.
  • Compassion FAQ (for even more great info, click here)
I also sponsor children in the Philippines, and I will post soon about my girls there, so you can see the experience I have had so far :)
I will leave you with this photo...so you can see how much having a sponsor means to the child. This was taken when I visited one of my children in El Salvador. She was so happy to meet her sponsor. She was overcome with emotion. At 9 years old.

The blogging trip starts tomorrow! I hope you will check it out, I know you will not regret it! You can click the link to the right on my blog, or click here.

No comments:

Post a Comment